It’s time for your weekly pregnancy update! At 23 weeks, I am 5 months pregnant. Can you believe I am starting on month 6 in August?!
I’m 23 weeks pregnant, and each baby is as big as a grapefruit! The babies are measuring 11.4 inches from head to foot and weighs 1.1-1.3 pounds each.
*Yep, our babies are almost a foot long, and are finally able to be weighed in pounds! Our twins are not just getting bigger, they are getting even cuter and starting to look more like actual babies!
HERE’S WHAT ELSE BABIES HAVE BEEN UP TO THIS WEEK:
• Fetal Weight Gain. Their week marks the beginning of some serious weight gain. Our babies should double their weight over the next 4 weeks alone (and I may feel as though I do, too). Their skin is a bit saggy since it grows a lot faster than fat, but soon they’ll start to fit their frame as fat deposits fill things out. By the time our babies are born, they will be pleasantly plump and filled out, from chubby cheeks to chubby toes. And our babies organs and bones are visible through their skin right now, they’ll become less transparent once those fat deposits settle in.
• We Can Hear Our Babies Heartbeat Through A Stethoscope. We’ve probably heard our developing twins’ heartbeats through a Doppler a number of times already at the doctor’s (though we never get tired of hearing it), but by now we can also hear it through a standard stethoscope! It’s really neat!
• Pancreas & Lung Development. Each baby’s pancreas is kicking into gear sometime around this week, and blood vessels continue to develop in the lungs. Lung development is a BIG thing right now, since babies born around 24 weeks gestation can often survive outside the womb. 23 weeks is pretty questionable, and 24 weeks certainly isn’t a peachy-keen time to be born, but still. But since I’ve been so worried my whole pregnancy about our little ones, I get a tiny bit of comfort knowing that my babies has a fighting chance if something terrible were to happen. I’m praying and having faith that God will keep them in my womb and they’ll be born full-term (38 weeks).
• Babies Are Doing Some Detailing. Our babies are forming little nipples (really!) at this stage. Their cute little fetus faces are fully formed. They just need a little extra fat to fill it out (see above).
• Bone Work. Our babies bone marrow has taken over the job of producing red blood cells from their liver and spleen. Their hearts are beating more strongly and pumping more blood around their body.
• Hearing Better. Around now, our babies start to hear nearby sounds more clearly. Babies are entertaining themselves by listening to my voice and my heartbeat. They are starting to recognize the distinctive sound of my voice. Hubby and I have started building on this familiarity by singing them lullabies and talking to them regularly. I’ve read that singing the same lullabies to them, once they’re born, will help to settle them more quickly. They can also hear sounds that are further away, such as a door being slammed and can even hear some loud sounds like cars honking and dogs barking.
HERE’S WHAT’S BEEN HAPPENING WITH ME THIS WEEK:
• Wide Variety of Symptoms. Pregnancy affects me head to toe (and pretty much everywhere in between). At 23 weeks pregnant, my mind is fuzzy (due to progesterone) and my feet are growing. The palms of my hands and soles of my feet are red and I am more get hot easier and have gotten a few skin tags. Stretch marks are starting to bloom. I’m using Belly Butter to diminish them, though.
• Weight Gain. I’ve read that typical 23 weeks pregnant belly measures about 21 to 25 centimeters from the pubic bone to the top of the uterus. (That’s the fundal height.) At 23 weeks pregnant, I’ve probably gained some weight although I’m behind in the weight-gain department according to the books. I really don’t want to have preterm labor/birth, so I’m really trying hard.
• Babies are Active. Babies are wiggling around, and it feels good when they do. I’ve started getting to know the twins’ routines: They are less active when they are sleeping and major dancers or Kung Fu masters when they are awake.
• Anxiety. I’d hoped it was really the whole “firstness” of my first pregnancy that was to blame, but here I am again, going through the same doubts and fears and worries. When I do manage to shut off my overworked brain (money, preterm labor possibilities, needing to get more stuff for the nursery, two babies oh my god TWO BABIES), I am plagued with anxiety dreams. I’m doing my best to lift my worries up God and remind myself that He’s in control and He’s a good God.
• Sciatica in my glutes and legs.
• Calf cramps every so often.
• Belly feels tight.
• I get physically full quicker due to
“Squished” stomach and internal organs.
Mostly every raw or cooked vegetables (my husband has to eat them all), except cucumbers or tomatoes. Also, spices, herbs, tea, certain protein bars cause me to gag.
Still loving: PB & J and banana slices, English Muffins, Starburst Jelly Beans, Greek Yogurt, Pickles, Ice-Cream, Egg & Toast, Oatmeal, Sweet Potato Fries, Honeydew, watermelon, cherries.
New: Pretzels, Salmon, Kiwis, Buttery Biscuits
I’ve been sleeping better than previously, now that we are all settled into our new apartment. Still taking my afternoon nap, which is refreshing.
I’m still hiking every morning in my favorite Phoenix area preserve and swimming laps in the afternoon at our apartment pool. I enjoy both these forms of movement. During my hikes, I listen to all my favorite podcasts (I have about 15 different ones I enjoy), and as I swim, I simply enjoy the cool, refreshing feeling of the water and glide and flow along in rhythm as I stroke.
Fun Exciting, & Weird Stuff From the Week?
Last Sunday (7/16), we went to eat at our local Snooze. We’d actually never been there before. By a recommendation from a friend, we went to this fun, hip, youthful breakfast spot. Mike had their Mexican Breakfast Burrito with 1/2 Red Chili Sauce and the other 1/2 Green Chili Sauce. I had the White Cheddar Egg White Veggie Omelet with toast with butter and jelly. I tried their hashbrowns and I didn’t really like them so I gave mine to my hubby. I cleaned my entire plate, then polished off about 1/4 of his huge burrito (the Green Chili side). I surprised myself by my hunger.
My Omelet and Toast (Prior to slathering on the jelly and butter)
Looking Forward To…
**Yesterday, Thursday July 20th, I went in for my 23 Week ultrasound and check-up. Both babies are doing great! I will be publishing a blog post on Monday July 24th, so check-in then for some details and neat pictures!!
Any Baby/Pregnancy-Related Purchases?
My hubby and I have had fun purchasing items for the babies (Well…I’ve been the main purchaser) from our Baby Registry. Mike has been wonderful setting stuff up and celebrating with me). I’m in full nesting mode.
Here are the things we’ve either bought or received from family members:
Changing Table/Dresser #1
Changing pad liners
Bedding Sets for both babies
1 set of Tommy Tippee Bottles
A toddler bookcase
Some “first years” books
A double/twin backpack/carrier
A white noise machine
Baby lullaby CD’s
|Name Signs for the walls
Bath Caddy (for toys)
Windi Gas Extractor
Baby Nasal Aspirator
Newborn 1 box/case of diapers
Wipes for babies (1 case)
Diaper Caddy for changing table
Here are things that we still very much need:
|Double Jogging Stroller
Double Umbrella Stroller
Sleeper/Rock n’ Play
Car Seats with bases
2 High Chairs
Twin Z Nursing Pillow
2nd set of bottles
|Breast Pump (I may get this through insurance)
Twin Z Nursing Pillow
Baby Bath Tub
Baby nail clippers
Baby toothbrush & Teething Gel
Rattles & Take-Along Toys
Only 1 real small one. I’ve learned that it’s genetic of whether you get them. I really don’t have them and my mother didn’t have them either. We lucked out!
Belly Button In Or Out?
Still have a fun outie. Hubby still likes to play with it.
Happy or Moody Most Of The Time?
Very, very happy still! Sometimes I get emotional now. I think it’s just the hormones. Overall, though, I’m still just so grateful that God blessed us with me getting pregnant.
***FINALLY! Beginning Wednesday July 19th, I officially began to feel actual real kicking!! It’s so awesome! I even see little “lumps” appear at the surface of my belly when they kick!
* * * * * * * * *