It’s time for my weekly pregnancy update! At 20 weeks, I am 4 months and about 2 weeks pregnant. I’ve hit the halfway point of my pregnancy!
* HALFWAY THERE, HALFWAY THERE, HALFWAY THERE! *
At 20 weeks pregnant, our babies are the size of a banana. They weigh about 10.2 ounces and measure about 6.5 inches from crown to rump. (Starting next week, babies will be measured from head to toe.) The twins still got a lot of growing to do but have an excellent start!
HERE’S WHAT ELSE BABIES HAVE BEEN UP TO THIS WEEK:
• Good Size Babies. I’ve got two heavyweights in my belly. Our little champs weighed 9 oz (Baby Girl A) and 10 oz (Baby Boy B) at my 19-week Anatomy Scan. While our babies are definitely getting bigger, there’s still plenty of growing room in my tummy, which will allow them to twist and turn (and allows me to feel their acrobatics!)
• Heartbeats. Babies have heartbeats that can be heard with just a regular old stethoscope now and not just the fancy doppler.
• Meconium. Babies are swallowing and practicing other digestive skills. They can now produce meconium, which is essentially prenatal poo that sits in the bowels during pregnancy. We’ll see this awesome goopy stuff in person during our baby’s very first diaper change, or possibly even during labor, as some babies take their first poo in the womb. Meconium in the fluid in considered a delivery complication, but it’s very common and not super dangerous. Our doctor will just need to suction our babies noses and mouths immediately after delivery to prevent any meconium going into our babies lungs at their first breaths.
AND HERE’S WHAT’S BEEN HAPPENING WITH ME THIS PAST WEEK:
• Hair and Nail Growth. Now that I’m at the midpoint of my pregnancy, our little bananas are becoming more of a reality as I feel their movements and draw smiles from passersby who see my baby bump. I’m also noticing that my nails are stronger and my hair is growing faster than usual, feeling thicker and fuller. This is due to pregnancy hormones again, which trigger a surge in circulation that brings extra nutrients to hair and nail cells.
• The Hunger Zone. With weeks of nausea and food aversions behind me, I’m more than ready to make up for lost eating time (move over crackers, hello burgers and pizza!). But the grazing/small meals every-few-hours approach that was my mealtime M-O during those queasy months is still the best way I’m going about feeding myself and the babies now. It helps fend off tummy troubles (like the heartburn and indigestion), but it also ensures that our babies are getting a steady supply of calories more consistently. In fact, studies show that at least five or six small meals and snacks a day are more likely to carry to term. And I really want to carry to term. So, I’m going to do my best to “bring on the grub” when pregnancy hunger hits, and lots of it, just bring it on a little at a time.
• Zits. Pimples. Breakouts. Some women get them on their face, some on their body, others get bona-fide eruptions unlike anything I’ve seen this side of junior high. I’ve been mostly getting pimples. It’s a downside of the “pregnancy glow,” which is really just increased blood flow to my cheeks and extra secretions by my oil glands. Bleh! I know! I’m washing each day with a very gentle face cleanser. The good news is my skin WILL return to normal soon after birth.
• Shortness of Breath. As my uterus expands, it has pushed against my lungs, causing me to feel short of breath. This happens because my ribcage moves outwards to give me greater lung capacity, and my body processes oxygen and carbon dioxide more efficiently. This means that each breath I take is deeper than it was before I became pregnant. This is what makes me feel breathless.
• Leg cramps.
• Heartburn and indigestion.
• High energy.
• Swelling of my feet.
* * * * * * * * *
Coffee, Herbs, Cooked Veggies (particularly bell pepper and jalapeno), anything bitter.
Still loving: PB & J and banana slices, English Muffins, Starburst Jelly Beans, Greek Yogurt, Pickles, Ice-Cream, Bagels, Eggs & Toast, Burgers, Sweet Potato Fries, Frozen burritos, Watermelon, Peaches, Kiwis, Honeydew.
New: Frosted Mini-Wheats, Chicken Salad on Croissants (You can find croissants affordably at Walmart), Fro-Yo (We Went to Yummies Yogurts on Sunday and I bought and devoured a 12 oz cup (although 3 oz was probably all the toppings!), and Chocolate Cookie Dough Protein Luna Bars
I’ve been sleeping pretty well…and still taking an afternoon nap, too. I broke down and purchased the Snoogle. Ahhhh! It’s wonderful! Seriously! I curl around it and I’m sleeping so much better!
Fun Exciting, & Weird Stuff From the Week?
A gal that I usually see at the pool commented on my baby bump and we talked for awhile. She encouraged me and told me all about her pregnancies. Her children are grown so she had lots of wisdom to share.
This weekend, my hubby and I are moving. On one hand, I’m really dreading it. I have moved countless times in my past (so has he), and it’s just not the most fun activity in the world. I’ve been slowly packing things up. Hubby took two days off from work. Thursday through Saturday we’ll pack the rest of our stuff and then move. We are just “transferring”, meaning we are just staying in the same apartment complex that we’ve been in, but just moving to a 2 bdrm, 2 ba, so we are excited to have more space and room for our expanding family! I am particularly looking forward to starting to finally be able to put together the babies nursery! Hubby will build the cribs (which we still have yet to receive) and changing table/dresser and glider one of our family members sent to us!
Looking Forward To…
As I noted above, settling into our new place (getting everything unpacked and set-up over the course of a week or so), then purchasing items, putting together and starting to decorate the babies nursery!
Source (Just a picture of a nursery. This will not be our theme)
Any Baby/Pregnancy-Related Purchases?
Just the Snoogle this past week. As noted above, I will be buying a bunch of baby stuff for their nursery right after our move.
Source (Again, just another picture of a nursery. Won’t be our theme).
Just two really light ones! I’m using Belly Butter, so it’s working!
Belly Button In Or Out?
It’s an outie now! Hubby plays with it! Ha ha!
Happy or Moody Most Of The Time?
Very, very happy still! Sometimes I get emotional now. I think it’s just the hormones. Overall, though, I’m still just so grateful that God blessed us with me getting pregnant.
Only little flutters, taps and “bubble” sensations so far, still! Waiting eagerly for when I feel solid “kicks!”
* * * * * * * * *