It’s time for my weekly pregnancy update! At 19 weeks, I’m 4 months and 1 week pregnant! In another week, I’ll be halfway through. Can you believe it?
Our babies are growing at an amazing rate! This week, our babies are as big as a mango! At about 6.0 inches long and weighing in at about 8.5 ounces, our twins continue to get bigger!
HERE’S WHAT ELSE BABIES HAVE BEEN UP TO THIS WEEK:
• Vernix Develops. Our little ones have a cheesy varnish. Say whaaat? You read that right. They have a protective substance called Vernix Caseosa (vernix is the Latin word for “varnish” and caseosa means “cheese”). It now covers the babies skin. It’s greasy, white and made up of lanugo (fine downy hair), oil from each baby’s glands and dead skin cells. This waxy “cheese” may not sound too appealing, but it’s there for good reason: Vernix protects our twins’ sensitive skin from the surrounding amniotic fluid. Without it, they’d look very wrinkled at birth. The vernix will shed as delivery approaches, though some babies can still be covered with it at birth, so hubby and I might get a look at our babies first anti-wrinkle cream! Ha!
• Babies Are Just Getting Bigger Now. Although our babies will weigh more than 15 times its current weight by the time they are born, the rapid-fire growth portion of pregnancy is over. Our twins are fully assembled in detail. They just needs some fattening up and lengthening out.
• Senses Are Enhancing. Our babies are still working on their five senses. The nerve cells that will help them to understand the world around through taste, hearing, sight and smell are growing in specialized areas of their brains.
• Limbs Are Proportionate. Our babies limbs are now in proportion to the rest of their body. They are busy kicking and flexing their arms and legs.
AND HERE’S WHAT’S BEEN HAPPENING WITH ME THIS PAST WEEK:
• Leg Cramps. There’s nothing like getting into bed at the end of a long day, especially when you’re pregnant. I’ve been aching for a good night’s sleep — literally. I seem to be like many expecting moms. Leg cramps can keep me up some nights. They are little spasms that radiate up and down my calves. I’ve learned they are very common during the 2nd and 3rd Trimesters. They can also happen during the day, but I notice them more at night. I try to do stretches, and I’m making sure I’m getting enough Potassium and other electrolytes that can help with cramps.
Researchers haven’t nailed down exactly what causes them for pregnant woman, although there are plausible theories. Some say leg muscles fatigue from carrying around all the extra weight of pregnancy. Others believe the vessels that carry blood to and from the legs are compressed by a woman’s growing uterus at 19 weeks pregnant.
• Feeling Babies Kicking. I’ve been able to feel teeny weeny little flutters, bubbles and taps inside my tummy. I haven’t yet been able to feel actual harder “kicks” yet (I think it’s still too early), but hopefully soon I will.
• My Moods. How are my moods doing? I’m not about to tell anyone what’s “normal” at this point, except to say that whatever you’re feeling is probably normal. Whether it be fear or worry or impatience or weepiness or ecstatic joy….or maybe a combination of all of the above in the span of 10 minutes? Yep. That’s my reality. I think it’s probably normal. The moods are normal because things are probably becoming a whole lot more “real” right about now. The movements are steady, perhaps you know whether it’s a boy or a girl and are deciding on names and picking out room décor, are hoping you’ll be able to breastfeed. All the above I’ve contemplated. So, maybe I ran out of the room crying during a movie where something bad happened to a small child. Or to an adult! Why? Because they were someone’s baby too! I think I’m officially bonding.
• Abdominal Aches and Pains. Round ligament pain caused by my muscles stretching to accommodate baby.
• Dizziness and Lightheadedness. Lightheadedness during pregnancy is happening at times because my growing uterus puts pressure on my blood vessels. Plus, baby is crowding my lungs, so there’s less oxygen for me.
* * * * * *
Certain Protein Bars, Coffee, Herbs, Cooked Veggies (particularly bell pepper and jalapeno), anything bitter.
Still loving: English Muffins with PB & J and banana slices, Starburst Jelly Beans, Greek yogurt, Pickles, Ice-Cream, Eggs & Toast with butter, oatmeal, bagels, Watermelon, Honeydew, burgers, sweet-potato fries.
New: Steak, Texas Red Chili, Waffle Cones, Plums
It’s getting really hot here in Phoenix (it has been averaging between 105-120 degrees lately), so at night I’m finding it harder to sleep. Also, as my belly gets bigger, I’m finding it harder to get comfy. I may break-down and purchase the Snoogle, but it’s just so darn expensive ($48.00). We’ll see. But I’m still taking afternoon nap so that’s refreshing.
Fun Exciting, & Weird Stuff From the Week?
I’m still going to our pool every afternoon to get refreshed, play around and swim laps. It’s great movement and is so nice to cool off.
Also, on Father’s Day, hubby requested we go eat at Texas Roadhouse for lunch. It was delicious. I was hungry so I ate an 8 oz filet mignon, buttered green beans and creamy coleslaw. Eating the steak is like eating “gold” since my dish cost around $18.99! We don’t have that type of money, but we do stuff like that on special occasions/holidays). I also had a cup of their Texas Red Chili. (Hubby had a combo platter: Shrimp, Steak, Fries.Of course, I tried everything off his plate). By the way, I LOVE their buns/rolls and cinnamon butter that comes free in the basket!
As you see listed under “Food Cravings” on this Pregnancy Update, I mentioned both these items I ordered. As a result of how much I loved them, we bought a small pack of steaks at the grocery to slice into thin pieces which I’ll put on salads this week. Hubby is going to make his own Red Chili for me this week! Anyways, hubby LOVED lunch.
I also treated him and we both went and got massages at Massage Envy (another treat for each other). He’d bought me a Gift Card for Mother’s Day (which I hadn’t gotten around to using) and I’d bought him one for Father’s Day. So we did a 1-hour couple’s massage on Sunday. By-the-way, Massage Envy will get a Prenatal Specialist for expecting mothers, and tailor/tweak the massage so it’s safe.
Looking Forward To…
I had my detailed Anatomy Scan/Ultrasound yesterday. It went well! This Upcoming Monday June 26th, I will publish a blog post about how it went! Check in then!
Any Baby/Pregnancy-Related Purchases?
Yes! I bought some maternity bras because my boobs have been growing. I was going to wait longer, but my current bras are just getting too tight. I also figured I’d now have them (I hope to be able to breastfeed). You can find the pair I purchased here.
Yep, but I’m now wearing Belly Butter to keep them to a minimum.
Belly Button In Or Out?
I have had an outie now for about a month and a half!
Happy or Moody Most Of The Time?
Still happy still, but as I noted above, I feel a range of emotions. However, I’m still just so grateful that God blessed us with these babies!
Yes! I feel tittle feathery flutters, taps and bubbles. As I mentioned above, I can’t wait to feel them stronger!
* * * * * * * * *