It’s time for my weekly pregnancy update! At 17 weeks, I’m 3 months and 3 weeks pregnant! Woot woot!
Our babies are growing at an amazing rate! This week, our babies are as big as a pomegranate. They each weigh about 5.1 inches long and weighs about 5.9 ounces.
HERE’S WHAT ELSE BABIES HAVE BEEN UP TO THIS WEEK:
• Babies Are Accumulating Fat. My, how our babies have grown! Our little ones are each the size of my palm, or around five inches long. The babies body fat is beginning to form and will continue to accumulate through the end of my pregnancy. Therefore, that’s why I’ve been packing in the peanut and almond butter, avocados, nuts and yes…little smears of butter here and there!
• Babies Heart. Our Twins’ hearts are now regulated by the brain (no more random beats) and is churning out 140 to 180 beats per minute — about twice as fast as ours.
• Babies Are Practicing Sucking and Swallowing. The twins are sharpening their sucking and swallowing skills in preparation for that first (and second…and third) suckle at my breast or the bottle. In fact, most of the survival reflexes our babies will have at birth are being perfected in utero right now.
• Fingerprints Are Forming. Within the next week or so, the pads on our babies fingertips and toes will become adorned with completely individual swirls and creases – their fingerprints!
• Babies Are Putting Down Bone. Our babies are hard at work transforming its skeleton from soft, rubbery cartilage into solid, hard bone. They are also growing stronger, thicker umbilical cords, too.
• Spinal Cord Action. A fatty substance called myelin is started to coat our babies spinal cords. This will help to speed up messages from their nerves to their brain.
AND HERE’S WHAT’S BEEN HAPPENING WITH ME THIS PAST WEEK:
• My Growing Appetite. It seems like only a day ago when I felt so queasy and nauseous that I could barely stomach ginger ale and a cracker. Fortunately, it seems like my days of feeling sick 24/7 are over. And now…I’m happily hungry these days, and it’s more likely I can’t get seem to get enough to eat. I feel like I have a truck driver’s appetite! Sometimes I feel like I could polish off a 24-ounce steak, 2 cheeseburgers (with fries) or a whole tray of baked Ziti.
So, what’s going on with my hunger? Well, I’m taking signals from my babies who are both getting bigger and hungrier. Honestly, it’s SUCH a relief to enjoy food again after 3.5 months of queasies (and food aversions). Honestly, I was seriously worried about myself (and the babies) all 1st Trimester when I wasn’t gaining anything and struggling just to get enough calories in. But now…I’m playing weight gain catch-up. But I’m being smart about it. I’m not depriving myself of anything (including brownies & cake), yet I’m also being cognizant to make the majority of my intake nutritious – to fuel the growth of my healthy babies.
• Snoring. Ha ha! My poor husband. I’m sure he doesn’t think my new snoring habit is too sexy. But I think he now understands that it’s due to the nasal stuffiness I have. A side effect of those pregnancy hormones at work. I started using nasal strips on my nose to open up my nasal passages (doesn’t look pretty, but it works).
• Weight Gain. I have a bump now that, for some, may cause some to wonder if I’m pregnant, and others to not be sure. I think most people may hesitate to comment or miss it completely, because it’s not super big…yet. Anyways, I still have a ways to go, but I’m happy that I’m finally gradually gaining.
• Feel Babies Movements. It’s been a downright fabulous week, what with the regular sensations and acrobatics I’m feeling in my uterus. There really is nothing like it in the world! It’s both wonderful and WEIRD because there’s 2 teeny little moving people living inside my body! Pregnancy really is amazing!
• Increased Bodily Fluids. Sweat, mucus, and other fluids are in full force because of my increased blood flow.
• Weird Dreams. Having strange dreams might be caused by my hormones, but it might also be the result of my nerves and anticipation.
• Itchy Boobs and Belly. As baby’s growing, my skin is stretching thinner and can be more sensitive. I’m trying to resist the urges to scratch, and I’m now applying moisturizer daily.
• Stretch Marks. Although I’m slllooowwwlly putting on pounds and my uterus is continuing to expand, I’m getting a few stretch marks. But it’s okay. I’m drinking lots of water and putting on Belly Butter daily.
* * * * * * * * *
Certain Protein Bars, Coffee, super spicy stuff, anything bitter.
Still loving: PB & J and banana slices, Starbucks jelly beans, Greek yogurt, pickles, ice-cream, English Muffins, Fish Tacos, oatmeal, burgers, eggs & toast with butter, frozen burritos, watermelon, peaches.
New: Honeydew melon, Pita Chips, Einstein’s bagels with cream cheese, Pizza!
I’ve been sleeping pretty well…and taking my usual afternoon nap, too.
Fun Exciting, & Weird Stuff From the Week?
I started going to our apartment pool every afternoon to swim for awhile. It feels SO refreshing since here in Arizona, we’ve been getting temperatures between 105-110! I love the coolness of the water and just flowing along as I do laps or play around is so nice. I hope the babies like it, too. Can’t wait to swim with them after they are born!
Also, on Monday 6/4, I posted our Gender Reveal on my blog and then on Facebook on Tuesday. We have loved the emails, texts and responses from close family and likes and messages from friends! Thank you everyone! We’re excited to share this part of our family and life journey with you.
Looking Forward To…
Gaining more weight on belly and all over to be honest. It’s been really slow and I don’t think I’ve gained adequately for 17 weeks. However, now that my appetite has really finally kicked in, I am hopeful. My bump has grown though quite a bit over the last 2 weeks (hubby loves it….and so do I)! Hopefully the babies are both growing on schedule. We’ll find out at our Anatomy Scan on Thursday June 22nd.
Source (Just an example picture. Not what our nursery will look like.)
Any Baby/Pregnancy-Related Purchases?
No…still not yet. This Monday, I mailed out a list to my close family of items we particularly need on that are on our Baby Registry, so hopefully they’ll start to send us stuff. I’d like to start setting up the babies nursery in July.
Yes…a little. Using Belly Butter now!
Belly Button In Or Out?
I officially have an outie now! Hubby thinks it’s awesome and likes to try to pull it out more. Ha ha!
Happy or Moody Most Of The Time?
Very, very happy still! Sometimes I get emotional now. I think it’s just the hormones. Overall, though, I’m still just so grateful that God blessed us with me getting pregnant.
Yes! Little flutters, pops, twitters, and bubbles I feel as the babies move! It’s really amazing!
* * * * * * * *