It’s time for your weekly pregnancy update! At 15 weeks, I’m 3 months and 2 weeks pregnant!
Our babies are growing at an amazing rate! During week 10 of our pregnancy, our babies are as big as a navel orange. Our 15-week fetus weighs around 2.5 ounces and measures 4 inches, and our babies proportions are becoming even more normal, since their legs now out-measure the arms.
HERE’S WHAT ELSE BABIES HAVE BEEN UP TO THIS WEEK:
• Each Baby Is Looking More Like A Baby. My body is finally looking a bit more pregnant. That’s because at 15 weeks, our babies are quickly growing bigger each week, they’re about 4 inches long right now! That’s about as long as a tall mug or naval orange.
• Ear Positioning. By now, babies ears are positioned properly on the sides of the head (they used to be in the neck) and the eyes are moving from the side of the head to the front of the face, where they’ll soon meet our loving gaze!
• Babies Are Practicing. Our babies are in rehearsals — practice, practice, practicing and getting ready for their big debut (birth). Babies work on breathing, sucking and swallowing so that when they leave my comfy womb and move into our comfy apartment, they’ll have the skills necessary to survive. Our babies are also holding daily aerobics classes; they are kicking, curling toes and moving those little arms and legs. However, because they don’t weigh much yet, I don’t feel the fetal movements going on inside my “tummy gym.”
• Babies Are Breathing. They have started “breathing” amniotic fluid in through their nose and respiratory tract, giving those lungs some very early practice for the real thing. (I’ve heard that late in my 3rd trimester, I may be able to actually watch fetal breathing on an ultrasound!)
• Babies Can Sense Light and Pressure from Outside the Womb. Babies are starting to hear noises in my body such as my heart beating and my tummy gurgling. They may also be able to hear my voice, but it will sound muffled at this stage. Nevertheless, I’m going to start gently caressing my belly while singing lullabies to them!
AND HERE’S WHAT’S BEEN HAPPENING WITH ME THIS PAST WEEK:
• Symptom Relief. Many of those bothersome early pregnancy symptoms have. AI still have low-grade morning sickness/nausea, but it is certainly MUCH better than it was a few weeks ago.
• Bleeding Gums & Dental Care. Cheeeeese. I’ve noticed I have red, swollen gums and they are even a little sore, sensitive and prone to bleeding when I brush and floss. Ouch. It’s those pregnancy hormones at work again. This time they are inflaming the gums by making them react differently to the bacteria in plaque. These same hormones are also the cause behind a chronic stuffy nose I’ve had since Week 5 (more on that below). Basically, I’m just being more gentle on my teeth at night.
• Sinus Congestion. Runny nose. Stuffed-up nose. Lots of mucus, and not in the places where I would ASSUME mucus would be involved. I’ve learned it’s called rhinitis of pregnancy. Once again, “pregnancy hormones” are to blame. I’ve been avoiding making yet another purchase (we are trying to be frugal), but I may actually purchase a humidifier or vaporizer. I’ve also heard I can use saline nasal drops or a medicated nasal spray.
• Weight Gain. Honestly, I was barely able to gain an ounce during my 1st Trimester (thanks to all that awful nausea 24/7). But I know very well now that due to it being 2nd Trimester, it’s “go time” big-time now to gain some l-b’s! Our babies are getting bigger and bigger, and consequently, I need to, too. I’m trying to make slow-and-steady my motto and I’m aiming for a weekly weight gain of about 1-2 pounds. Honestly though, if I gain more than that during some weeks, that’s absolutely fine. I need to make up for 1st Trimester, and the fact that I’m super small. I want more than anything for the babies to be well nourished!
• Skin Rigmentation. My moles, freckles and birthmarks have all darkened. I have noticed some melasma, or “mask of pregnancy” across my face, due to the bit of time I spend each day on a walk outside in the sunshine. I don’t yet have linea nigra, which is a darkish line that runs down the center of many pregnant women’s bellies. But it may show up anytime now. Fortunately, I have read that a lot, yet not all, of these changes will fade after I give birth. I’ve started to slather up on the sunscreen before going outside to increase my odds that they’ll be temporary.
• Forgetfulness. Pregnancy brain! Gestational amnesia! Whatever you want to call it, I have had more difficulty finishing sentences properly, forgetfulness and feel like I just sometimes have mental fogginess.
• Heartburn, Gas and/or Indigestion. Again, these tummy troubles are due to the hormones. I try to pay attention to foods that are triggering and avoid them. Sometimes I have to take an antacid.
• Shortness of Breath. Notice that I breathe harder when I walk or hike. Let’s face it, it’s getting more crowded in my tummy/torso area. That means it’s trickier for my lungs to expand enough to get a full breath.
Certain Protein Bars, Coffee, Herbs, Cooked Veggies (particularly bell pepper and jalapeno), anything bitter.
Still loving: PB & J and banana slices, Honey Nut Cheerios, Starburst Jelly Beans, Cottage Cheese, Pickles, Ice-Cream, Watermelon, Oatmeal, Fish Tacos
New: Scrambled Eggs (with spinach), Toast with butter & Turkey Bacon breakfasts (I’ve had this 3 times this past week); Peaches + Greek Yogurt + Granola Parfaits; Frozen burritos (Ha! I’m on a “kick” for these!); and Kefir (I just discovered this stuff!)
I’ve been sleeping decently this trimester so far…and taking an afternoon nap still, too.
Fun Exciting, & Weird Stuff From the Week?
Hmmm….nothing too weird. However, I feel like each morning when I wake up, my baby bump had grown overnight. I’m TOTALLY okay with that! I LOVE that it’s getting bigger. It means the babies are growing! I pray and want them healthy and strong!
Looking Forward To…
Getting my next ultrasound on Wednesday May 31st. Next week! Hearing their hearts beating…and seeing them on the screen!
Any Baby/Pregnancy-Related Purchases?
I purchased four more books. Two are for me to read titled “The Whole-Brain Child” and “Brain Rules for Baby.” I want to do my best to love them deeply, but also be a wise mother who encourages creativity, knowledge and learning with my kids. Then, I bought two books that we’ll read to the babies/kids at bedtime titled “I Prayed for You,” and “God Bless You and Good Night.”
Nope. Still not yet.
Belly Button In Or Out?
It’s definitely popping out more and more. Mike thinks it’s going to become a total “outie” eventually during my pregnancy!
Happy or Moody Most Of The Time?
Happy overall! Grateful. Yet, I still get emotional now. I know it’s mostly just the hormones. And worrying about whether I’m doing enough and eating enough for the babies. Overall, though, I’m still just so grateful that God blessed us with me getting pregnant.
No. Not yet. According to my doctor…I may feel something soon (within the next 2-3 weeks)!
* * * * * * * * *