It’s time for your weekly pregnancy update! At 14 weeks, I’m 3 months and 2 weeks pregnant!
At 14 weeks pregnant, our babies are as big as a peach! They are measuring 3.4 inches and weighing in at 1.5 ounces. Babies have almost doubled in weight since last week, and keep on growing at super-speed!
* I’m at the beginning of my 2nd Trimester! *
This has been called the “honeymoon phase” of pregnancy, primarily because I am supposed to gradually feel a little less nauseated, hungrier and more energetic. Let’s sure hope this is the case these next 3 months!
HERE’S WHAT ELSE BABIES HAVE BEEN UP TO THIS WEEK:
• Babies are standing up straight.
• Growing by leaps and bounds. Our babies are leaping and bounding. They are on the move almost constantly and instead of the little jerky twitches I felt last trimester, their dancing feels more ballet-like, smooth and fluid. Speaking of ballet, babies are standing up without any prodding. No slouch anymore, our babies necks are getting longer, helping their head stand more erect. This gives our fetuses a more straightened-out appearance.
• Babies Sprouting Hair and Lanugo. Our babies are sprouting some hair (though the final color will not be determined until birth) and the eyebrows are filling in, too. Additionally, hair growth is also happening as a downy coating of a thin, peach fuzz-like hair called lanugo, all over their bodies. It’ll help keep them warm! But I won’t be giving birth to little monkeys. Apparently, the babies fat will accumulate later on in my pregnancy and will take over the function of keeping our little bean toasty, so most of the lanugo will shed.
• Babies roof of their mouth is forming.
• Digestive System. Their intestines are producing meconium, which is the waste that will make up their first bowel movements after birth.
• Heartbeat. Babies have a strong, whoosh-whooshy heartbeat that can usually be found pretty easily now with a doppler. It’s much faster than ours (Baby A and B range between 153 – 180). It sounds a little like a washing machine.
• Babies are wiggling their toes and sucking their thumbs!
• In both babies, kidneys are making urine, and the liver and spleen are doing their jobs, too.
• Babies facial muscles are starting to twitch. They are rapidly changing from squints to frowns to grimaces. Under their closed eyelids, their eyes also are starting to move.
AND HERE’S WHAT’S BEEN HAPPENING WITH ME THIS PAST WEEK:
• Welcoming 2nd Trimester! I’ve heard and read that this is almost every pregnant woman’s favorite trimester…and for good reason. I’m feeling better overall. Less morning sickness. My energy is returning. I’m feeling peppier. Slight headaches, but minor. Food cravings and aversions are settling down. Fewer trips to use the restroom to pee. #ThankGoodness
• Size Of My Belly/Pooch. My tummy has definitely seemed to pop a little further. Even cooler is the fact that it may be time for me to finally start shopping for some maternity clothes because I’m starting to really show. Instead of looking like I’ve eaten too much for lunch or am bloated, I have a distinct “You’re a pregnant woman” bump. AND I LOVE IT! Reason for the bump now is because my uterus is finally rising out of the pelvic region and into my lower abdomen. I can even feel the top of my uterus, called the fundus, when I press down right above my pelvic bone in my lower abdomen.
• Increased Appetite. My tummy’s has been rumbling more. As Morning Sickness has been starting to go away, I’ve heard I might find my appetite on overdrive. Honestly, I WANT that to happen (a strong appetite!) because I’ve MISSED having one! And also, I have a lot of weight to gain since I’m starting out small. I need to fuel our babies rapid growth. I’ve heard I need to eat between 500-600 calories extra per day than I regularly do. So, I’m keeping plenty of healthy snacks by my side just in case I get the munchies and eating more calorie dense meals/foods.
• Breast Tenderness Waning. I’m not as bothered by breast tenderness anymore, although I’ve learned my boobs will continue to grow in size in the weeks and months ahead. I will probably need to reassess my bra size periodically and get a nursing bra later this trimester or early 3rd trimester.
• Round Ligament Pain. This type of pain is the effect of uterine growth. Basically, these are pregnancy growing pains that feel like achy or sharp pains on one or both sides of the abdomen that begin to appear around 14 weeks. Here’s why: The uterus is supported by thick bands of ligaments that run from the groin up the side of the abdomen. As my uterus grows, the supporting ligaments stretch and thin out to accommodate the increasing weight. This weight pulls on the ligaments and causes a sharp pain or a dull ache in my lower abdomen. It’s often more noticeable when I change positions suddenly or get up from sitting or lying down or when I cough.
Mostly every raw or cooked vegetables (my husband has to eat them all), except cucumbers or tomatoes. Also, spices, herbs, tea, certain protein bars cause me to gag.
Still loving: PB & J sandwiches, banana, Starburst Jelly Beans, Cottage Cheese, Pickles, Ice-Cream, Watermelon, Oatmeal, burgers, sweet potato fries, Triscuits, bagels.
New: Apricots, Avocado on Toast (I love having it several ways), Raisin Bran (for breakfasts and snacks), Fro-Yo (splurged on it twice this past week. Too expensive, so I bought a tub of it from Walmart)
It depends. Some nights I sleep well, others not-so-much. However, I’m still taking an afternoon nap, so that helps.
Fun Exciting, & Weird Stuff From the Week?
This past week, I have been stopped now twice and asked if I was pregnant. The dear housekeeping lady in our apartment complex stopped me and asked if I was expecting. I told her “Yes,” and she so kindly said “Oh! God bless you” and gently placed her hand on my tummy. She was just ecstatic and her excitement caused me to feel very loved and thought about.
Looking Forward To…
My bump growing bigger and bigger! I want our twins to grow nice and big and healthy!
Any Baby/Pregnancy-Related Purchases?
Yes! Actually, I made quite a few. Ha ha! I bought, and am currently reading the book “Happiest Baby On The Block” by Dr. Harvey Karp. It’s excellent, so far, and I’m learning a LOT about the 5 S’s and how to calm your baby and help them sleep well. From this book, I was “inspired” to purchase 3 items early, which I got: 1.) Boba Baby Wrap, 2.) Amazrock Baby Muslin Swaddle Blankets, and 3.) HoMedics Relaxation Sound Machine.
Nope. I need to buy some belly butter soon…before that starts!
Belly Button In Or Out?
My formerly “innie-outie” is starting to really pop out!
Happy or Moody Most Of The Time?
Very, very happy still! Sometimes I get emotional now. I think it’s just the hormones. Overall, though, I’m still just so grateful that God blessed us with me getting pregnant.
No. Not yet. But at my perinatal appointment back on 5/11, the doctor told me it’s possible I’ll start feeling “flutters” around Week 16!
* * * * * * * * * *