Disclaimer: Before reading this post, please refer to this disclaimer clarified on my previous FAQ post here. Thank you.
Q: I heard there is a way to increase your CM (cervical mucus) so that the sperm can have an easier trip to the egg. Is that true? If so, what can I do to improve my CM?
A: This is somewhat true, although every woman’s CM varies in amount, texture and volume. Hormones and health also play a big role. However, I’ve read and heard a few ways and tips to increase and improve ones CM for conception. Increasing CM can go a long way to help your partner’s sperm make it to it’s destination during ovulation.
Here are a few things you can do:
1. Take Robitussin Cough Syrup – 2 teaspoons, 3 times a day with water, from about 5 days prior to ovulation through ovulation and 1 day after. This has been shown to help loosen the mucus in the cervix. Just be sure that the syrup you choose does NOT contain any active ingredients other than guaifenesin.
2. Drink at least 6-8 glasses of water a day to prevent dehydration.
3. Get enough vitamin A in the form of beta-carotene either through food or a supplement. This helps to improve CM.
4. Drink grapefruit juice or eat it to increase the amount of CM.
5. Eat plenty of garlic. It helps to thin the mucus, in both the lungs and cervical fluid.
6. Take Evening Primrose Oil to increase production of cervical fluid.
If you feel some of the cervical mucus with your fingers, you will find you can stretch it out. This is a sign that you are about to ovulate.
* * * * * * * * * *
**This is the 3rd and last FAQ I have scheduled. Please let me know if you have any questions about fertility, conception, etc!