It’s time for your weekly pregnancy update! At 8 weeks, I’m two months pregnant!
Our babies are growing at an amazing rate! During week 8 of our pregnancy, our babies are as big as a raspberry and weighs about .04 ounces and measures about .63 inches. The babies are growing about a millimeter each day.
HERE’S WHAT ELSE BABY HAS BEEN UP TO THIS WEEK:
● The Details. Are extremely jointy, with fingers and toes and elbows and knees they can bend and wiggle. Babies almost don’t have a tail anymore.
● Baby’s Size. How big the babies have become a bit harder to estimate. Though growth occurs at about the rate of a millimeter a day, it isn’t necessarily just in height. Spurts can happen in the arms, legs, back and other parts of their tiny bodies meaning big changes are coming every which way in the next few months
● Baby’s Got Lips, Nose and Eyelids. Babies are looking a lot less reptilian and a lot more baby-like: Even though they have webbed hands and feet, their teeny fingers and toes are just starting to differentiate now. Their upper lips are forming, the protruding tip of that cute button nose and tiny, very thin eyelids, too.
● Heartbeats and Movements. All this growing is exciting for our babies, too! Our Babies hearts are beating rate between 130-170 times per minute — about twice as fast as ours. Even though I can’t yet feel it, the babies are now making spontaneous movements as they twitch their tiny trunk and limb buds. Our baby’s digs are getting bigger, too. Amniotic fluid volume is increasing and my womb is expanding to accommodate my growing babies.
● Neural Tube. This tube connects our babies spinal cord to their brains, is closing over. And the little buds that will become their arms are sprouting.
● Babies fingers and toes are now only slightly webbed, and their tail (yes, there was one) is gone. Babies taste buds are also now forming, gearing up for their first meals.
AND HERE’S WHAT’S BEEN HAPPENING WITH ME THIS PAST WEEK:
● Morning Sickness!!! I have been a walking ball of first-trimester misery, if I may project myself on you for a bit. But honestly, it’s a day-to-day thing. Some days can honestly be okay. But on other days…*BARF* is the best I can describe it. Ha ha! While our babies aren’t exactly causing me to show yet, my clothes are feeling a little tight around the tummy. That’s because your uterus, usually the size of a fist, has grown to the size of a large grapefruit x 2 by this week. Admittedly, that’s still pretty small. BUT while I don’t look too pregnant from the outside, I certainly feel pregnant on the inside, especially my insides threaten to come out all day long. (Fortunately, I haven’t vomited at all though). It’s so funny that it’s called “Morning” Sickness. The person who gave it such an inaccurate name was probably a man who never experienced it. I know all too well that it may start in the morning — but can linger all day and all night. Apparently, I’m among 75% of pregnant women who have Morning Sickness, and since I’m having twins, it tends to be worse than a woman who is having a singleton.
● Trouble sleeping at night — despite being exhausted.
● Showing a little pudge/belly. I’ve read that every Mom is different. Most women don’t show until 10-12 weeks. However, I’ve read that women with twins or multiples, it’s easier to tell because we become larger sooner. My uterus has been expanding and the babies growing, so I’m happy to say I see a little belly. I’ll also be larger than most women throughout the pregnancy. I’m okay with that. Happy I’m having triplets.
● Overall, kind of feeling a cavalcade of misery the 1st trimester can be; Nauseated but hungry. Tired but unable to sleep. Pudgy but not pregnant-looking. In pain from a variety of complaints and suffering from a weakened immune system but forbidden from taking most over-the-counter remedies. Moody and cranky and irritable and weepy. BUT…it’s all worth it. I’ll go through anything for these babies.
● Superhuman Sense of Smell. I have days where I have intense aversions to scents and odors around me. This is because my hormones are doing some wild things at this point, giving you me superhuman-like sense of smell and making your stomach do flip-flops. Catching a whiff of an offensive odor—perhaps something that’s totally innocuous or never bothered you before—has triggered nausea. For example, last weekend, I was boiling spaghetti pasta in a pot of water. I couldn’t stand the smell of it! I was able to eat it just fine later for dinner, it was just the smell of it cooking that reeked to me!!
● Weird dreams. I’ve been having vivid and strange dreams. I learned this is totally normal to have throughout pregnancy.
● Pregnancy cramps. At 8 weeks pregnant, I have little “twinges” of cramping. They aren’t intense or even like menstrual cramps. They are small. I’ve learned cramping is normal because the ligaments in my abdomen are stretching as my uterus expands.
● Extra saliva. This is a symptom I never expected! I read that my excess saliva is most likely also hormonally triggered and could be related to nausea, too.
● Fatigue! I get tired a bit more than usual. Afternoon naps now are routine to take.
As always, I have no idea. I’m not weighing myself. I’ll leave that up to my doctor (perinatologist ) when I see him/her in two weeks (4/20). However, I know my pooch is gradually growing!
A solid Hike each morning. Going on a daily walk mid-day.
Mostly every raw or cooked vegetables (my husband has to eat them all), except cucumbers or tomatoes. Also, spices, herbs, tea, certain protein bars cause me to gag.
My favorite thing right now is taking a sourdough English Muffin and smearing on crunchy peanut butter with blackberry jelly, then adding to the top some slices of banana. I also love fruit still: Plums, Oranges, Peaches, Cottage Cheese, Pickles, Ice-Cream, Brownies, Prunes, Sweet Potato Fries, Powerade Zero
I’ve been sleeping pretty well…and during naps, too.
Fun Exciting, & Weird Stuff From the Week?
On Monday 4/3, hubby and I went to get our 2nd ultrasound. We learned that Baby B didn’t make it, so we are now just having twins (instead of triplets). You can read about it here. It was hard, but we are moving forward and feel happy and grateful for our twins! May God enable them to grow well and may I go full term!
Looking Forward To…
In two weeks, on Monday 3/17, we are going in for our 3rd ultrasound. I will be a little under 10 weeks then. We are hoping and praying to see that our twins have grown a lot more and are healthy and doing wonderfully. Also hoping their placentas have grown also and are getting to where they need to be.
Any Baby/Pregnancy-Related Purchases?
Last weekend, I went to a neat Baby Consignment Sale and bought 50+ baby clothes for super cheap! All items were $1-$3 only, and many were “name brand” such as Carter’s and GAP. I feel a bit better knowing we’ll have some newborn to toddler-sized clothes. AND…I feel even better knowing I got all this for a fraction of the cost.
Nope. I need to buy some belly butter soon…before that starts!
Belly Button In Or Out?
I have an “innie-outie.” Seriously, mine is half in, half out. It will be interesting to see if it “pops” out.
Happy or Moody Most Of The Time?
Very, very happy still! Sometimes I get emotional now…and a little irritable (my poor husband). I think it’s just the hormones. Overall, though, I’m still just so grateful that God blessed us with me getting pregnant.
No. Not yet. I think I have several weeks to go before I feel movement. However, that is something I’m looking forward to!
* * * * * * * * * *