It’s time for your weekly pregnancy update! At 6 weeks, I’m one month and about one week pregnant!
This week, little baby(ies) are the size of a Sweet Pea.
HERE’S WHAT ELSE BABY HAS BEEN UP TO THIS WEEK:
- Has tripled or even quadrupled in size and is now three or four entire millimeters long!
- Is working on growing a nose, some ears and a mouth.
- Is also growing flappy little leg and arm buds.
- Heart is dividing into four chambers and is beating twice as fast as yours, at 150 beats a minute. Heartbeat will be able to be seen on an ultrasound next week!
- Facial features are already starting to form. There are dark spots where baby’s eyes will form and tiny holes for nostrils.
AND HERE’S WHAT’S BEEN HAPPENING WITH ME THIS PAST WEEK:
- Morning Sickness!! I’d been honestly wondering when I’d actually get Morning Sickness, as I’d read it was THE most common first Trimester pregnancy symptom in the book. But for my first 5 weeks, I’d only had slight whiffs of it. However, on Tuesday 3/21, it hit me like a ton of bricks. When I woke up that morning, I went on my hike and felt that queasy feeling in my stomach, which I wasn’t sure was going to lead to vomiting. Fortunately, it didn’t and I haven’t tossed my cookies. Yet, since then, I definitely feel like I can. Also, it hits at any time of the day or night (not just morning)! I’ve learned Morning Sickness is due to some unknown combination of hormones, especially hCG, the growing baby(ies), and other body changes (like a keener sense of smell). To keep nausea under control, I’m not skipping meals or snacks though.
- Food cravings and/or aversions are be pretty strong at this point. Salads and any kind of leafy green veggies make your stomach flip and my esophagus burn. So, I figure no need to be the Healthy Salad Martyr Pregnant Woman. Nobody likes her anyway. I’m sticking to crackers, bagels, muffins. As far as veggies right now, all I can do is pickles (and I love them!), tomatoes and cucumbers. I’m just trying to alter what and how much I eat and when. I’m being a grazer, sticking to foods that appeal to me.
- Frequent urination. I still am finding myself having to pee more than usual, it’s because the pregnancy hormone hCG is directing extra blood flow to the pelvic area. I especially notice it when I get up in the middle of the night to pee 2-3 times, or on my hike’s 4 times!
I have no idea. I’m not weighing myself. I’ll leave that up to my doctor (ob/gyn) when I have my check-ups. However, I know my pooch is gradually growing…although bit-by-bit. I’m fine with that actually!
A solid Hike each morning. Going on a daily walk mid-day.
Sore breasts. My boobs are sore thanks to increased blood flow. It’s hard to believe my body is already starting to prep to breastfeed our baby(ies) even though I have weeks and weeks to go!
Gas and bloating. The pregnancy hormone progesterone can cause these tummy troubles. Drink lots of water and eat fiber-rich foods to avoid constipation (yuck), which contributes to bloating (double yuck).
Mood swings. Yup, I’m finding myself a bit more cranky or emotional. I cried over seeing a sweet video of a birth of a cat the other day.
Constipation. I miss having normal poops. I’m paying attention to my fiber intake. I even bought prunes (I feel like an old woman!) and eat 3-4 daily.
Fatigue. I get tired a bit more than usual. Afternoon naps now are routine (and in a way – a necessity).
Slightly more emotional.
Hot…all the time! Soon I’ll have the fan on and turned towards me during the day whenever I’m doing stuff around the apartment!
Can’t stand the sight of salads (or anything green, for that matter) such as spinach, broccoli or asparagus (Just thinking about this makes me say “bleh!”)
Pickles, Ice-Cream, Pancakes, M&M’s, Corn Tortillas, Honeydew, Cucumbers, Chocolate Chip or Banana Nut Muffins, Pears
I’ve been sleeping pretty well…and during naps, too.
Fun & Weird Stuff From the Week?
So far, I’ve had 3 beta blood tests done: 3/8, 3/10 and 3/16. My hCG has progressed nicely, in fact, it’s more than doubled. I’m praying this great trend of the hCG increasing will definitely continue as baby(ies) grow.
On Friday 3/17 I had the worst gas…ever. Mike even noticed how my tummy looked like there was a big blown up helium balloon inside.
He helped me lay on my left side for awhile, I took 2 Gas-X’s. Then, finally later that night I was “relieved” (lots of toots occurred). Pregnancy Side Effects can make for lots of chuckles!
Looking Forward To…
**Next Monday 3/27, I’m excited because Mike and I are going to get an ultrasound done. We’ve heard that we may be able to see our baby’s heartbeat! We are deeply hoping so, as I’ve learned that after seeing the heartbeat, our risk of miscarriage shoots down to 10 to 15%. It’s not as great as getting out of the double-digits (at 10 weeks your risk is only 3%), but still. With how hard it was to get pregnant, I’ll take the sighs of relief whenever you can get them!
(*This is not our baby’s ultrasound. Source here.)
**Also, next Monday, as small as baby(ies) are, my doctor should be able to our little one(s) from precious little crown to cute little rump. That’s because as our baby grows, the legs will be bent, making it hard to get an accurate read on the full length of the body. Since I’ll be just over 6 weeks pregnant, our baby’s crown-to-rump measurement is anywhere from a fifth to a quarter of an inch and growing, making it the size of a nail head or a sweet pea — our little sweet pea(s)!
Any Baby/Pregnancy-Related Purchases?
Actually, none this past week. I’ll probably wait to do the majority of shopping closer to when my bump appears, perhaps May? Large baby items (crib, changing station, blankets, monitor, diaper genie, etc) I’ll likely purchase this Summer, in July. We plan on moving to a larger space in July, so it’s best to wait until then for those large items.
Nope. I need to buy some belly butter soon…before that starts!
Belly Button In Or Out?
I have an “innie-outie.” Seriously, mine is half in, half out. It will be interesting to see if it “pops” out.
Happy or Moody Most Of The Time?
Very, very happy still! Sometimes I get emotional now. I think it’s just the hormones. Overall, though, I’m still just so grateful that God blessed us with me getting pregnant.
No. Not yet. I think I have several weeks to go before I feel movement. However, that is something I’m looking forward to!
* * * * * * * * * *