It’s time for your weekly pregnancy update! This week, I hit 5 weeks!
This week, little baby(ies) are the size of an apple seed.
HERE’S WHAT ELSE BABY HAS BEEN UP TO THIS WEEK:
● What does the little embryo look like now? Actually, baby looks a bit like a tadpole, with a rudimentary head and a tail.
● Our baby is about a millimeter long. That’s incredibly tiny and hard to see with even the best ultrasound equipment. This is not to say that there isn’t stuff there — the early shapes of a head and torso and the teensiest little limb-buds are starting to form, along with internal organs and the chambers of the heart.
● Speaking of the heart, the heartbeat may be visible. It takes a lot of developing to become a baby — all the major and minor bodily systems (digestive, circulatory, nervous and so on) and organs (heart, lungs, stomach…you get the idea) have to form from scratch. My baby’s heart is made up of two tiny channels called heart tubes and they’re already hard at work. When those tubes fuse together, my baby will have a fully functioning heart, though he/she almost certainly has their grip on mine already! Also in the works this week are several other organs, including the neural tube — the precursor to our baby’s brain and spinal cord — which hasn’t yet sealed. But by next week, that will happen.
AND HERE’S WHAT’S BEEN HAPPENING WITH ME THIS PAST WEEK:
● I’m doing well. But…bloating! Even though I’m a tiny person, in some senses, I LOOK like I’m showing already. I have a round poochy belly that I cannot suck in. BUT I LOVE IT! I call it my “Budda Belly.” Honestly, I cannot wait until I have a genuine baby-bump where it’s obvious I’m pregnant. But for now, my uterus is still tiny. I am bloated. I feel like a balloon. But that’s all worth the real baby(ies) that are in there!
● Fatigue. Pregnancy is hard work, which seems to sometimes cause a downshift in my “get-up-and-go.” I’ve learned that during the first trimester, a huge amount of energy goes into building a life-support system for our baby (namely the placenta). Although 99% of the time I feel energized, I do notice myself feeling just a bit tired or full-on wiped. Also, to blame are the hormonal and emotional changes that are happening. So, I try to take a 1-hour nap mid-afternoon. The good news: According to what I’ve read, by the end of my first trimester, my body will have completed the Herculean task of manufacturing the placenta, so I might feel a renewal of energy. In the meantime, I’m doing my best to listen to my body, get plenty of rest and eating right (and often).
● I haven’t yet really experienced morning sickness/nausea all that much yet. But occasionally I’ll get a whiff of it. However, I’ve learned it really doesn’t start “kicking-in” until next week (Week 6).
Again, I have no idea. I’m not weighing myself. I’ll leave that up to my doctor (ob/gyn) when I have my check-ups. I have a little “pudge” which I’m perfectly fine with. It shows I’m feeding the baby(ies) as best as I can. More energy for the baby to grow!
A solid Hike each morning. Going on a daily walk mid-day.
My boobs are really tender and sore. Nipples tingle at times.
I’m peeing a LOT! Frequent dashes to the bathroom to pee.
Mild cramping (the baby(ies) are growing)!
Slight low-grade headaches.
Night Sweats. I wake up drenched in sweat!
Jalapenos, anything super spicy, brussel sprouts, asparagus
M&M’s, Chocolate! (in any way), Pickles, Ice-Cream, Cashews, Bagels, Cream Cheese, Greek Yogurt, Cookies, Blueberries, Kiwis, Peaches
I’ve been sleeping ok, but I do wake up a few times to pee.
Fun & Weird Stuff From the Week?
I made and mailed to our family (5 sets of parents, siblings, extended family) a crafty pregnancy announcement. Basically, it was a little booklet with the “Two Little Lovers…” story-line I did in this blogpost. In the package, I also included a little picture that I put in a frame of these shoes. I was so excited for everyone to receive theirs.
I also attended my first MOPS group/club. MOPS connects moms all over the world to a community of women, in their own neighborhoods, who meet together to laugh, cry and embrace the journey of motherhood. It’s for women who just learned they are pregnant to moms with pre-schoolers.
The MOPS I attended was at a local church. I really enjoyed meeting other women. These mothers are experienced and very wise. I have a feeling I will learn much from them. I’m sincerely looking forward to continuing to go to weekly meetings!
Looking Forward To…
Developing a baby bump! Honestly, I want to have that little round belly that gives pregnant women away!
Any Baby/Pregnancy-Related Purchases?
I bought 3 baby/pregnancy t-shirts this past week on Amazon. I bought the “This Girl Is Going To Be a Mommy,” “This Guy Is Going to Be A Daddy,” and “The Maternity Countdown” t-shirt, the ladder of which I’ll wear for all my future Pregnancy Update photos. Mike and I enjoyed wearing our matching shirts when we went to eat pizza on date night at Fired Pie this week.
Nope. I still need to buy some belly-butter.
Belly Button In Or Out?
I have an “innie-outie.” Seriously, mine is half in, half out. It will be interesting to see if it “pops” out.
Happy or Moody Most Of The Time?
Still very happy! I just feel an overwhelming sense of joy and gratitude that God blessed us with me getting pregnant!
No. Not yet. I think I have several weeks to go before I feel movement. However, that is something I’m looking forward to!
* * * * * * * * *